You may feel like the world is caving in on you and problems are everywhere. Whether it’s meeting the demands of your family, the pressure of your 9 to 5 or the to do list maxed to capacity – you may just feel like you just can’t take it anymore. Whatever the issues are, you can get these problems under control.
I have been here many times, being that I used to over-analyze and question all my life and choices. Once I became a mother, these tendencies went into overdrive. This is when I began my journey of passionately researching mindfulness, awakening and conscious parenting. I have never been an advocate of taking pills to alter feelings – I believe we all have the power to stop our mind from falling into a stressed out state.
As a human in this physical reality, I am still learning how to respond to new experiences that bring me anxiety. I realize that I have learned the most, not through the endless hours of research, nor from an “expert”, but from my “failures”. I have had times where I screwed up royally, because I took the risk and I did not think things through. Even so, I have no regrets, because these experiences, these very “failures” are my biggest teachers – for they have taught me so much.
Whenever I feel anxiety rising up, or when my mind shifts into overdrive, seeking for issues to nag about, there are a few things that I do that help bring me into a positive mental state. Here are some simple things that work for me continually:
- Just breathe. When you find yourself agitated or stressed out to maximum capacity. Take a minute to pause and deeply inhale … hold it for a second … and exhale. Repeat until you feel calm again.
- Repeat a mantra. “All is Well.” This is an affirmation (also known as positive thinking) that takes your perception to a better place. Write It down or say it to yourself repeatedly. This is a way for you to take control of your mind and your feelings in that very moment.
- Go outside. There is something about being outdoors, even if just for a few minutes. Observe the world around you, the trees, the sky, or the sun. These elements make our “issues” seem so small, even if just for that moment. It’s a peaceful distraction and a way to get in touch with nature.
- Focus on abundance. Think of the areas in your life that are going well for you. Feel gratitude in your heart for good friends, the love of your child, and all the other physical and non-physical things you have in your life. Find something to be Grateful for and focus on that.
- Be Kind to yourself. If your inner dialogue is negative, observe that, and do not accept it as your truth. Think of your positive attributes. Know that you have a special gift to offer this world and that you are here for a purpose. Remember … we are what we think. Stop judging yourself. Accept who you are and who you are to become.
- Question your thoughts. Many times we believe that the voice we hear in our heads is a real representation of who we are. Remember our mind is a “trickster.” The mind will play games if you are willing to participate. The next time those negative thoughts arise; question them instead of accepting them.
- Do Something You Love. Find an activity that you love to do, to instantly relieve your stress. Whether it is going for a walk, painting, dancing, yoga, reading – whatever it maybe – do that! Pick one thing that you love to do, and in that moment and just do it!
Do you have a way to rid yourself of anxiety? Comment below … we want to know!
Diana Marrero is a spunky freelance writer. Her publications are dedicated to promoting conscious parenting, self-acceptance, and oneness. Once her daughter was born, she realized parenting is a life-long journey of love, learning and awakenings. She is the founder of Namaste Parenting, a mindfulness educator, and a poet.